This article was updated on the 4th of December, 2020
ARE YOU ADDICTED TO FOOD?
Dieting is not easy, especially for those who love food and that is what being addicted to food is all about Starving to death when your mum, wife or you, just made a delicious pot of egusi soup is not easy at all. Sometimes you find yourself busting the diet for that day , gulping down 3 wraps of iyan with a plate of soup, 3round about, 1 torso, 1 turkey…. promising yourself that its just for that day……….but it happens again. You find out that you keep eating extra meals you never planned to eat.
More than 80percent of diets are unsuccessful because of food addiction. The food addiction is a strong desire to eat a particular meal or any meal at all. Some are addicted TO just one kind of food, other love anything food.
Sometimes you are not even that hungry, but because the food is in the pot, you just can’t help it.
For some people, its emotional eating. My best friend used to eat a lot of food anytime she argued with her boyfriend.
For me, I eat a lot when am ill. Its scary.
Stress also increases our craving for food, some people get very hungry when under stress.
Another group discover that the moment they start dieting, they suddenly find that they are addicted to food, its like the saying that men want what they can’t get. You long more for food when you know you can’t eat it.
Another group just love food. No reason, they just can’t stay away from food.
Whether you like it or not, the long term consequence of your addiction to food is being overweight, unless of course you have a superfast metabolism.
Here are some tips to help you stop being addicted to food:
1. Stay away from the kitchen or where ever food is being prepared. The more time you spend with food the more you are tempted to eat more.
2. Define your portions before going to the table, let me explain this. I always tell my brother that he is supposed to eat food equal his fist size since he wants to lose weight. When he is dishing out his meal, he takes a full plate, claiming that when he gets to the table, he would eat only the site recommended and throw the rest away. Trust me, he eats it all.
3. Keep a food diary. This is an important book everyone on a weight loss program must have. You won’t realise how much you are eating until you keep a diary. You can also create on on our forum for free,it will help motivate you
4. Don’t skip your meals, instead, eat small amounts during meal times. Most times when you starve for long and you finally eat, you would end up binge eating because you are so hungry.
5. Drink a lot of water with meals. Helps you feel full faster, and prevents over eating.
6. Avoid being idle. idleness always has a way of making you feel hungry or eating more than you should.. Keep yourself busy.
Photo Credit:Substance for you