High intensity interval training (HIIT), also known as high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE), is a cardiovascular exercise strategy alternating short periods of intense anaerobic exercise with less intense recovery periods. It simply means a setting where a person engages in a short session of high intensity exercise followed by an even shorter session of low intensity exercise repeatedly until exhaustion takes over. Simply put, it involves maximum effort for a short period of time followed by a recovery period with minimum effort and repeat. A typical example is; 30-40 seconds of hard sprinting alternated with 15-20 seconds of walking. This is a simple case where extreme training produces extreme results.
There is no particular set of exercise routine that qualifies as HIIT. It all depends on the level of one’s cardiovascular development as each one differs significantly. It is for this reason that it is strongly advised that one undergo a medical examination before participating as per doctor’s orders. In creating HIIT workouts, be sure to include difficult movements that challenge your entire body in a single exercise. Catch your breath in between rounds for a minimum amount of time before your next set.
Studies show that after a HIIT workout, about 225 extra calories are burnt. HIIT ensures that calories are burnt even after the exercise period. This fact, however, does not mean that HIIT alone should be engaged in the pursuit for weight loss. Yes, it builds the muscles and increases metabolism but it will be more efficient when accompanied with the proper diet.
The beautiful thing about High Intensive Interval Training is that it can be done anywhere and at anytime without any instrument. You could catch a break at work and use it for a 40 minutes HIIT routine. This means that there are no excuses. Its hard and fast, a little slow and easy, then it’s hard and fast again until you’re done.
Studies have shown that HIIT gets rid of lower belly fat. Amazing! Most people struggle with abdominal fat. People complain that they lose
weight but the tummy fat never goes away. Well, here you have it. HIIT at least three times a week everyday plus a high protein diet and you’ll be singing a new song.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF HIIT:
- High intensity interval training lowers insulin resistance leading to weight loss.
- HIIT leads to improved cardiovascular fitness reducing the cardiovascular disease risk factor.
- It builds muscle building hormones while getting rid of all the weight from fat stores in your body.
- It slows down the aging process by stimulating the production of human growth hormones (HGH).
- HIIT keeps your body burning calories even after your session. Your metabolism is stirred for hours.
FOR AN EFFECTIVE HIIT:
In order to get results there are some things that you should take into consideration. It’s no secret that the harder you work, the better your results. Therefore for a better result , in terms of exercises to lose weight,do the following:
- Make the less intense parts of your HIIT workout and your rest periods shorter.
- Make the High Intensive parts longer.
- If you don’t feel exhausted, you don’t need to stop.
- There’s room for you to increase the pace of your High intensive workouts.
- Keep track of your progress. This serves as an efficient motivator.
There is absolutely no need to go beyond your capabilities. It is after all for your well being so set a pace that won’t endanger you in any way. Preferably, have a trainer set goals for you based off of your doctor’s statement.
PhotoCredit: Underdog Boxing